Subject: Re: Opera regrets
From: Calvin M Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Apr 2000 20:57:50 EDT

Greetings! This one would bear pondering but, given limited time, my
immediate thoughts turn to 1965 and 39th St. Two of us from high school in CT
were in town for the day and ALMOST went into the Met box office to buy
tickets for that night's performance of Barber's Vanessa (with Mary Costa,
Rosalind Elias, John Alexander). To have seen that original production, even
in the revised version, would now be a treasured memory. I had to wait over
thirty years finally to see one of my favorite operas in the theatre. But my
reward for the wait was - Rosalind Elias still in the cast (albeit now in a
masterful interpretation of the Old Baroness instead of Erika). Back in 1965
we were too timid to venture into the Met!!
                   Calvin M Goodwin           [log in to unmask]