Subject: Re: Pizzetti's L'assassinio nelle cattedrale
From: Andrew Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Mar 2000 22:18:14 +0000

Christine A. Poingdestre says:

> I have the Hotter recording, in German, but have not been able to
> find either a recording in Italian or an English libretto.

Something resembling an English libretto can be obtained quite
easily - just get hold of the text of T S Eliot's "Murder in the
Cathedral".

Pizzetti's work is a "Literaturoper", that is, an opera not just
based on a work of literature but one which uses the actual text of
that work, albeit usually translated and abridged or rearranged, as
the libretto.  Famous examples are SALOME (Wilde) and Britten's
MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (though the line "compelling thee to marry
with Demetrius" isn't from Shakespeare).  Others are Zemlinsky's
FLORENTINISCHE TRAGOEDIE (Wilde again), Vaughan Williams's RIDERS TO
THE SEA (Synge) and Mascagni's GUGLIELMO RATCLIFF (Heine via Maffei).

Pizzetti might just be due for a revival.  I enjoyed hearing his
DEBORA E JAELE, which was broadcast by the BBC a year or two ago.
L'ASSASSINIO NELLA CATTEDRALE, which I've never heard, is 40 years
later, so my view of the earlier work probably isn't much help!

Andrew Cooper ([log in to unmask])
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~lib6arc/