Subject: Igor Buketoff
From: christopher h walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Dec 1997 14:11:44 -0500

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, KenMard wrote:

> In 1971 I was in St. Paul for performances of the short-lived
> St. Paul Opera - Igor Buketoff conducted "Ariadne auf Naxos" and
> the world premiere of  Lee Hoiby's "Summer and Smoke".  I suppose
> it is the same person - does anyone have any further info about him?
The "new boy" is no spring chicken; he was born in 1915.

He's had a small recording career, chiefly large-scale modern material
including Sessions' symphonies, and a few odds and ends.  A concerto
by operatic composer Robert Ward, if I recall.

His gigs as principal conductor have included Fort Wayne, Indiana,
and Reykjavik, if that tells you.

Reconstructing scores appears to be a hobby of his, as he's the one
who published a 'completed' Act I of MONNA VANNA (the Rachmaninoff,
not the Fevrier), a few years back, on cd.

I knew him slightly, about thirty years ago.
A perfectly nice man, very frustrated with the miserable orchestra
to which he was then consigned.

Christopher Walker    [log in to unmask]