Subject: Re: ROH WALKUERE last night.
From: Curzon Tussaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2005 04:24:09 EST

Thanks to Ruth Elleson's alert on Opera-L, we went  to Covent Garden last
night prepared at least for the non-appearance of Bryn  Terfel, for whom Robert
Hale stood in, but we assumed by the presence of film  cameras in the
auditorium, that the entire evening would be broadcast with  Hale instead of Terfel. It
was not till we returned home and looked at the video  that we realised what
had been decided, although I feel it was a poor decision  not to continue with
Acts 2 and 3 "just because" Bryn was ill. I am unsure what  plans there are
for a DVD, but merely transmitting an opera on television surely  does not
commit the administration to include that especial broadcast in  any DVD of the
entire cycle? That particular opera is, after all, called Die  Walkuere, not Die
Gott, and we had Lisa Gasteen, probably the world's finest  exponent of that
role, singing.

The Telegraph writes:

    The set continues from Rheingold: a black granite  floor through which a
(World Ash?) tree emerges in a welter of shattered stone,  books and papers
(Wotan's treaties?) and other detritus including a small model  plane which,
with the broken glass of the backdrop, has eerie suggestions of  9/11. The tree's
trunk turns into a metal beam which spirals upwards, and from  the flies
drops a red rope (of Destiny?) which snakes around the floor and  disappears
through the broken glass backdrop. At the close of Act III, Wotan  ignites the
flame via a small gas-jet between his fingers, and the entire spiral  breaks into
flame surrounding the sleeping Brunnhilde, with her sister Valkyries  flying
on the walls.

Curzon Tussaud