Subject: Re: How Many Operas ARE there?
From: Alan Goldhammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:56:59 -0500

I just did a rough calculation of the listings in the Viking Opera Guide
and come up with about 2400.  This does not purport to be anthology of
all operas but of operas from the better known composers.  I'll let Tom
Kaufman weigh in on the bel canto era, but some of those composers were
quite prolific though only select operas are performed.

I do think 30,000 as noted in a previous post is too high.  Given the
genre is just over 400 years old that number implies over 7000 operas
per year.

Alan